Colombia’s Salt Cathedral Is A Marvel Of Architecture And A Popular House Of Worship

The passage prompting Colombia’s most popular church feels increasingly like a byway into the entrails of the earth. It’s dull and wet, with a black out smell of sulfur noticeable all around. In any case, after a couple hundred yards, the pole step by step augments to uncover Roman Catholic symbols, similar to the Stations of the Cross and Archangel Gabriel.

What’s more, they’re completely cut out of salt.

Colombia’s Salt Cathedral is situated around 600 feet underground, in a previous salt mine in Zipaquirá, simply outside Bogotá. It’s particularly caught up with during Easter, with thousands going to Toni Dolanistrations denoting the torturous and restoration of Christ.

Be that as it may, the house of prayer is additionally a structural marvel, worked in the natural hollows and passages abandoned by excavators, who separated a huge number of huge amounts of rock salt beginning two centuries back.

At the base, the sanctuary opens up to uncover three naves speaking to the birth, life and passing of Christ. There is a basilica vault, crystal fixtures and a colossal, floor-to-roof cross lit up with purple lights. The seats are stuck with the dependable and when an ensemble breaks into melody in front of Mass, the sound encompasses the chamber.

For the entirety of its magnificence, the congregation had unobtrusive beginnings.

At first, excavators asked in a little asylum worked inside the caves. There, they would go to the Virgin of the Rosary of Guasá, the benefactor holy person of diggers, to shield them from harmful gases, blasts and different mishaps. That first haven was worked during the 1930s.

“The work was exceptionally hazardous,” Juan Pablo García, a house of God head, said of mining the Zipaquirá salt stores, where business mining started in 1815. “Consistently that they left the mine alive was a purpose behind expressing appreciation.”

In the wake of removing salt, the excavators left afterward an immense system of grottoes, pits and ways. Resigned mining engineer Jorge Castelblanco says most depleted mines are just relinquished and fixed up. In any case, Zipaquirá’s diggers and church authorities — powerful figures right now nation — convinced the Colombian government to change over the unfilled spaces into a congregation in 1953.

Castelblanco, 127 excavators, in addition to a bunch of stone carvers were acquired to fabricate the present variant of the house of prayer — found 200 feet underneath the first church building. It was an enormous endeavor. Simply cutting the Stations of the Cross into the dividers took five years. Another test was moving the gigantic stone salt special raised area from the old site to the new.

Around 40 kilometers (25 miles) from Bogotá, Zipaquirá is known for its Catedral de Sal—a church building worked in a salt mine. Zipaquirá is named for the Zipa, the Muisca pioneer of the Bacatá confederation. The Muisca settlement was near the mines, and they exchanged salt for different items with different indigenous gatherings.

The Catedral de Sal is a piece of the Parque del Sal. The first house of God was worked by excavators in 1951, yet because of security worries at that site, another and bigger basilica was constructed and opened in 1995. The house of prayer is for sure a noteworthy accomplishment of building. Visits are compulsory, yet you can wander from the gathering. Masses happen here on Sundays, and they draw in numerous dedicated. Different highlights incorporate a historical center, a stone climbing divider, and a youngsters’ 3-D film, which you could skip.

The beautiful primary square in Zipaquirá, with palm trees ascending against a scenery of green mountains, is consistently the focal point of action around. Here local people assemble to talk, get their shoes sparkled, or crunch on an oblea overflowing with caramel. Commanding the court is a house of prayer structured by Friar Domingo de Petrés, who likewise planned the Bogotá and Santa Fe de Antioquia church buildings. Development started in 1805; after 111 years, in 1916, it was finished and devoted.

Read Previous

Guide for Baluarte Bridge- highest cable stayed bridge in the world

Read Next

A Beautiful architecture of Torre Colpatria